Thursday, March 5

Oxford Hills Senior Commits to Division I Team by Shannon Kriger

With the end of the school year getting closer, OHCHS senior Mikayla Morin is not only anticipating going off to college, but being a part of a Division I soccer team.
Morin has had a very successful high school soccer career. Some of Mikayla’s most recognizable awards include making KVAC 1st team, being awarded 2013 KVAC player of the year, and making the 2014 All State team.
Among her numerous soccer awards, Mikayla has also received plenty of acknowledgment outside of the high school. She has played for the Seacoast Soccer Club based in Portland, which is essentially a travel team. Her and her team won a National Championship and multiple state championships. Mikayla also got individual recognition at nationals by making the all tournament team, which was given to the top players that competed in the tourney.
Mikayla has always had playing Division I soccer in the back of her mind, but knew she’d be content with what ever team she committed to.
“My goal was always to play Division I, but I didn’t have my mind set on it because playing college soccer in general is a great privilege,” Mikayla explained.
Numerous schools around New England expressed interest in Mikayla’s soccer skills, but it was clear that UMaine was the best fit for the young athlete.
“UMaine was the best fit for me both academically and athletically. At UMaine, not only can I study the degree I wanted, but also play soccer on an elite team,”
Upon visiting UMaine for the first time, Mikayla got a glimpse of what playing for the university would be like.
“I had a great first impression of the team. It was very clear that they’re a close-knit team that all have the same mindset towards competitive soccer and winning. They all seemed to be on the same page when it comes to the sport, and I’m really looking forward to going up there and making an impact on and off the field,”
It’s not often that a soccer player from Oxford Hills has the opportunity to play Division I, but there’s no question that Mikayla will continue her successes in soccer at UMaine.

Photo caption: Oxford Hills senior Mikayla Morin commits to the UMaine soccer team while fellow senior, Davis Turner, commits to the UMaine football team.

No comments:

Post a Comment